The Coalition shares information and resources:
- To help students, parents and guardians become empowered to navigate the school system and access needed resources
- To build capacity in schools, districts, and the community
- To jointly coordinate resources and activities across community organizations
Our Coalition has compiled these Tools for Advocacy (learn more) for the community to explore information about the state of special education in Sacramento City USD (and beyond). These documents have not been available in any one place until now. Would you like these materials for your district? Ask us how!
The Coalition will be closely following legislation, attending local and state meetings and events (learn more) including but not limited to...
- School board meetings at local school districts/county offices of education
- Special Education Community Advisory Committee meetings
- Other district and school site meetings such as the Local Control and Accountability Plan Advisory Committee, District English Language Advisory Committee, School Site Council, English Learner Advisory Committee, etc.
- Community based organizations
- California Dept. of Education:
- Advisory Commission on Special Education meetings
- State Board of Education meetings
- Legislative hearings
- Meetings with legislators
...with the overarching goal to amplify the voices of students with disabilities and families. Often, these voices have been missing from the table and consequently decisions are made without our input.
The Coalition advocates for accountability, transparency and demonstrated outcomes in schools in Sacramento and the Greater Sacramento region as we continue to seek change on behalf of ALL students.
Partner with the Coalition
The overarching strategy of the Coalition is to build an active alliance of individuals and community partners as a means to grow and synchronize advocacy efforts to foster greater equity, access, and inclusion and accountability for improved outcomes for students with disabilities.We look forward to working with the community to use available data and engage to develop real solutions to present to the District decision makers; local, state, and federal policy makers; and legislators.